Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Michelle, I like the way you think

Michelle Duggar has had 19 children at this point. All with her own body.  Wow.  And, they are not Mormon.  Again, wow.  They live debt free.  More wow.  They have genuine faith and seek God in their decisions.  On TV.  Wow.  Wow.  Are they for real?  They take a lot of abuse for their large family, but they stand firm in their beliefs and decisions.  I admire that.

I have yet to see any of this huge family in action on TLC, but a friend told me about them awhile back so I checked out their website and have just read their book: The Duggars, 20 and Counting!

One of the highlights for me was reading the section on "training and correcting little ones".  I love how they intentionally use positive reinforcement and are always on the lookout for opportunities to train.  This intentionality as parents is honorable and unfortunately, so rare, from what I can tell of mainstream American parenting these days.

She teaches her kids that obedience has 4 parts:  instant, cheerful, thorough, unconditional.  I am having a hard time with 2 kids, how does she do this with 18?!

I long to figure out how we too, in our home, can be intentional with all our decisions having a goal in mind, pointing us towards a known target.  Here are some thoughts I compiled back in March last year after attending a workshop on family ministry:

In Proverbs 22:6, the Bible says we’re supposed to train up our children in the Lord right? I get that, but what does that look like in real life?” Here’s my answer: To me it means discipleship…go and make disciples is our great command – our kids included. What is a disciple? It’s our end goal. The target we’re after. It’s my end goal to see my daughters, out on their own, without my guidance anymore, as fully devoted adult disciples of Jesus Christ. Try this:


I want my daughters to know God intimately
I want my daughters to love God passionately
I want my daughters to serve God selflessly


These goals are lofty. I cannot take them where I have not been myself.  So, I've got to go now.  He wants me to spend time with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment